Listen Learn Engage Initiative
The mission of the Listen Learn Engage Initiative is to inspire students across disciplines to participate in constructive, skillful, political, and civic engagement tied to their field of study.
Our vision is for Shepherd University students to develop the motivation, skills, and confidence to participate in civic engagement and influencing of policy in ways that move through division into connection and understanding.
- Provide students with learning opportunities in leadership and civic engagement that are tied to their field of study.
- Teach students in non-political science disciplines how to influence policy in their careers and communities.
- Create opportunities for students to learn how to effectively advocate for themselves and others.
- Help students to recognize their influence and importance in the creation of creating a civil political climate.
- We value listening across differences as central to building a healthy and effective political climate.
- We value lifelong learning as imperative to the development of effective leaders.
- We value skillful participation in civic engagement from a young age.
- We value student participation in advocacy and politics as a vital part of our democracy.
- We value positive public discourse, connection over division, understanding over contempt.
- We value the creation of a just and equitable society by creating space for all voices to be heard and valued.
Monday, October 25, 2021- 5:30-7 pm
Ally work on the frontlines – panel discussion
Thursday, October 28, 2021- 5:30 pm
Dr. Allison Jackson speaking on pandemic trauma, building resilience, and finding hope.
Monday, November 8, 2021
Sydney Jensen speaking on working with trauma, supporting frontline workers, and leadership in a post-pandemic world
Thursday, November 11, 2021
“A Walk with Frank” – Documentary & Q&A on PTSD
Monday, November 15, 2021
Nurtured Heart Approach (trauma-informed care) Training with Wendy Baraka, Director of Counseling Services
The Listen Learn Engage Initiative is working hard to provide students events for the upcoming semester. Please continue to check back for updates about future events.